Welcome to Sustainable Engineering Society
The Sustainable Engineering Society (SENG) is a multi-disciplinary society within Engineers Australia (EA) that takes a holistic approach to sustainability. SENG is fully aligned with EA's Code of Ethics, which states that we must work towards a sustainable future and act in the interests of the community ahead of personal and sectional interests. SENG has members from all professional disciplines.
SENG recognises that:
- The environment is in a serious state of ongoing decline;
- Communities are 100% dependent on the environment;
- Consumption and endless growth are primary causes of the severe state of degradation;
- Current practices are simply unsustainable;
- Many engineering endeavours have resulted in the current state of affairs.
SENG endeavours to:
- Ensure that a full life cycle analysis and costing is embedded as part of any engineering endeavour;
- That working with the natural systems, engineering endeavours can be a major solution to issues of sustainability and achieving a state of dynamic equilibrium;
- Ensure engineers are part of the solution NOT part of the problem
- Ensure that society becomes sustainable and thrives for thousands of years
Engineers have a moral and ethical duty to ensure that they abide by the Code of Ethics, and that their work is tested against this code.